A reader writes:
Do you have any ideas for questions to ask someone who already has the role that you just got promoted to?
Great question! Here are some that come to mind, and I hope others will join in with their own suggestions:
* What surprised you about the role that you didn't know when you first started in it? What was different from what you had expected?
* What are the biggest challenges you face and why?
* How can you tell when you're being successful? How do others measure your success?
* Is there any recent history in the department or job I should be aware of?
* What advice do you wish someone gave you when you first started?
* What advice do you have about working with other departments/people that this job interacts with a lot? What things should I be sensitive to?
* What are the most common requests that come your way?
* What are the most common problems you encounter, and how do you handle them?
* What were the big things you are trying to achieve this year?
* What things are worrying you?
* What's the best approach to working with our manager? What does she like and dislike? What's hardest about working with her? What's the best thing about working with her? What surprised you about her?
What suggestions do other people have?