Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Monday, July 13, 2009

blogs I like

Some of the sites I like and recommend -- not a comprehensive list by any means:

1. Evil HR Lady. Evil HR Lady inspired me to start Ask a Manager two years ago, so blame her. She's lazing around in Switzerland these days so not posting as much as she used to, but her archives should keep you entertained for some time. Personally, when I discover a new blog I really, really like, there's nothing better than reading and reading and reading through the archives -- and hers are very well stocked.

2. Clue Wagon. Kerry Sandberg Scott is always right, every single time. It freaks me out a little bit. And she's funny.

3. Punk Rock HR. Laurie Ruettimann writes about more than career stuff but you won't care because she's entertaining while she does it. Also, she agrees with me that swearing makes things better.

4. I Hate HR. Rachel strikes exactly the right balance between amusingly irritated by all things stupid and yet still willing to say something constructive. I get excited when I see she has a new post.

5. Jezebel's "Crap Email from a Dude" feature. Jezebel is a sister site of Gawker, but what you need to know about is their occasional feature where they post real-life crappy emails women have received from dudes. It will blow your mind. See, for instance, this one. (If you browse the archives, start with the older ones; they're the best ones.)

6. You Should Only Know. Again, not about management/career, but smart, funny, and charming.

P.S. I've been in a posting mood lately. I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome by bombarding you with posts, as I intend to continue unless you all tell me to cut it out.

11 comments:

Erica said...

Wow. I am totally, and completely flattered.

Your list and mine would be almost the same (except yours would be on mine), and I am honored to be included.

Thanks!

Kerry Scott said...

Thank you. Actually, I might have given up on blogging in the first couple of weeks were it not for a very nice note you sent me. So the continued existence of my blog is pretty much your doing (or your fault, depending on your perspective).

If you could come and tell my husband that whole Kerry-is-always-right thing, that would be great. In fact, I'll take you up to Sheboygan County so you can tell all the in-laws too. I'll pay for the ticket and everything.

Anonymous said...

Too many posts?! Nonsense!

Rachel said...

Please keep posting! We'll keep reading (devouring!) as long as you're in a posting mood!

Joselle said...

Post away. You are my new favorite blogger! It's a real treat to be bombarded with your posts, believe me.

Rachel - former HR blogger said...

Thanks for the nod. You're one of my top 5 favorite HR bloggers. I will say there is one area for improvement though: I hate when you post such a good response that I have nothing to add. Please lower the quality of your responses to questions so that I can respond to posts more often.

Unknown said...

This is a great list and thanks for including me in such an awesome list of women!

Unknown said...

PLEASE keep posting away! Your blog is getting me through a long period of gross underemployment, and does a lot to keep me plugging away even when I feel that all hope is lost. You provide an invaluable service in more ways than you can imagine.

Ask a Manager said...

Awww. You guys are so nice.

And what's up with my list being all women? I didn't even realize that.

Office Humorist said...

awesome blogs, thanks for sharing them. i always find it fascinating to see what other people follow, it's like looking at someone's del.icio.us bookmarks.

Suzanne Lucas said...

Aww, thanks. And just to prove I'm not lazy, I wrote 6 posts today! I scheduled them to come out over a week or so, so yeah for me.

And you're my favorite business blogger.