Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

should I tell my manager I have an interview?

A reader writes:

I've been with my current employer for just over 5 years and have a really great relationship with my boss. While I used to love my job, over the past year or so, I've started to lose interest and have started looking for another job. An opportunity presented itself in another city which I'm currently interviewing for. They head-hunted me and so far the job is looking promising - after a phone interview with HR and an interview with my potential boss, they're flying me out to meet the team (paying for my hotel, car and flights).

My problem is I have a performance review with my current employer a few days before I fly out for my interview. My boss has hinted at the fact that she knows I'm unhappy at the moment and has asked where I see myself going in the company, which she said we could discuss in my review.

My question is - what do I say in my review? Should I be honest and say I'm interviewing for another job? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and give her a reason to fire me off or treat me unfairly if I don't get the job (though I do expect she would reply reasonably). I would feel bad about misleading her in any way (and am a horrible liar), so if she asks me straight up where I see myself going with the company, I'm not sure how I should respond, especially given that I don't see myself staying there too far in the future.

Don't say that you're interviewing for another job. You may not get it or you may decide it's not for you. There's no reason to be that specific, until you get an offer that you're going to accept.

However, you should talk to her honestly about why you're not as content as you used to be. Think about the factors that pushed you to start looking, and talk to her about those (without mentioning that you have a job search in progress). You never know -- if you talk to her honestly about that, she might be able to address those things. You might get offered a different job with your current company that would make you happier. Or you might not -- but you'll have been honest with her about your thinking, and if you do end up leaving sometime soon, she'll appreciate that you didn't let her think that everything was fine. Good luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOOO Do not tell her you're interviewing! Even if you like her, don't tell her. I made that mistake and March 18th I'll be unemployed a year.

Meg said...

I had a new job description lined up with my former employer...economy tanked, job fell through...told them I felt I was at a place where I had reached the top of what I could do there. It was assumed I was looking for other work.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason I was one of the people they picked to lay off. I was unemployed over 14 months and am now back working with them part time (never burn a bridge).

They don't owe you anything, you don't owe them anything. Business is business. Go on the interview...I've been on plenty of interviews, it may mean nothing. Hopefully it will mean something.

Any good manager who cares about you will want to see you succeed. If they don't, then you shouldn't worry about them. Trust me, when you leave they will quickly replace you and move on.

BossLady said...

I think this post illustrates something I feel like I see often both in my daily reading of AAM (which I love) and in work.

Being honest with your employer is not the same as telling them EVERYTHING. Being honest is doing as AAM suggests and telling them specifics about your life/needs within the workplace. Including here, that you are dissatisfied and frustrated and what about the job makes that so.

A smaller example: I have employees who call in sick and feel the need to describe the specific sickness they have, I don't really mind knowing, but I try to explain to them that they are allowed to take sick days and I don't have to know their illness to accept the fact. You are sick and staying home. Done.

I also get really frustrated by employers who insist on knowing things about me outside of work. None of their business. If we have a good relationship I might offer it up, but don't be pushy about it.

Anyway, off my (snowy) soapbox now. Thanks AAM!

Anonymous said...

I agree that you should never ever tell your employer that you're looking or interviewing. I am another person who has suffered from furious employers who took a "how dare you" attitude. My prospective employer rescinded their offer, and I'm now being fired.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was most worried about how to respond if she were to straight out ask me if I was interviewing for other jobs, otherwise of course I agree I wouldn't volunteer that information. I had the review today today, and it went well - she did probe as to what I wanted to do with my life and where I see myself, but mentioned that they were behind me in helping me make sure I was happy in my career choice - whether it be here at the company or elsewhere in another career.