Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

job searching? check your spam folder daily

This was the subject of my very first blog post, but a friend's recent experience has inspired me to repeat it:

If you're conducting a job search, check your spam folder every day. A surprising number of emails from employers can end up in there. You may be sitting around thinking that no one has gotten back to you when in fact there's a response or two in your spam folder right now. Go look.

8 comments:

Lise F said...

Nope, still just people offering to sell me watches and Nigerian 419 scams :( Le sad...

Esther819 said...

Yes, this happened to me. (And I would have missed working for my current employer if I hadn't happened to check my spam folder that day.)

George A Guajardo said...

Sure enough, one potential employer responded about a month ago. Sigh...

Thanks for the head's up. I never even considered scouring my junk mail folder. I have one more thing to do on a regular basis!

Charles said...

Yep, good advice. I, as a job seeker, do check my spam folder - daily.

But, do job posters check theirs?

Rebecca said...

I learned a very valuable lesson from my spam folder: 419s and counterfeit pharmaceuticals are the way to go. "Real jobs" are the actual scams.

(just kidding)

(kind of)

Laura Y. said...

+1 -- I do a weekly scan and a few weeks ago found one from an employer I was *very* interested in. I emailed them back and explained that it had gotten caught in my spam filter blah blah blah, and they brought me in the next week for an interview. I start Monday.

Sabrina said...

I check it every couple of hours. Not as a job seeker but as someone who can't stand to see the Spam folder be bolded with a number after it. Must. remove. spam.

Anonymous said...

@Sabrina"
LOL! I thought I was the only one :-)