Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Monday, July 7, 2008

Can a manager be both effective and well liked? Nope.

Can a manager be both effective and well liked? Nope. Not going to happen.

My post at U.S. News & World Report this week explains why. Please join the debate and weigh in in the comments section over there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is you can also be disliked and ineffective. If you're going to be disliked, you might as well be good at your job.

Anonymous said...

What a great site! I will have to show my husband this!

Anonymous said...

What a great site! I will have to show my husband this!

Anonymous said...

Generally I'd prefer to be well respected (vice "well liked") and effective. It'd be nice if my employees liked me too since I would work harder for someone I liked over someone I didn't, but it's not a requirement.

Can't make everyone happy - that just doesn't happen.