Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

asking for feedback after a job rejection

A reader writes:

What is the current protocol, or successful strategy, for contact after not getting a job? I have already thanked the panel for the interview. Is there any reason to ask for feedback?

I'm always impressed when a candidate asks for feedback after not getting the job -- and it there's an easily articulable reason, I will usually share it. For instance, I've told candidates who asked that we felt we needed someone with more experience in _____, or that we were looking for stronger writing skills, and so forth. But sometimes it just comes down another candidate being a better fit, and I'll say that too, although I'm sure it's not as helpful.

That said, I know that there are a lot of hiring managers who never answer this question, for fear of saying something that will open them up to a lawsuit.

But even if you encounter that, there's still no reason not to give it a shot, as long as you're not defensive about it and are prepared for an honest critique. I'd say something like, "I appreciate your time speaking with me about the position, and I hope you'll keep me in mind if something opens up in the future that you think I would be a good fit for. Is there anything you felt I could do to be a stronger candidate in the future?"

And if you get an answer, no matter what it is, remember to say thank you. I remember it when I take my time to help someone with feedback and get silence in return!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, and for helping people out with feedback.

I'm trying to get a job right now, and I just emailed back for feedback for the first time in my life. I've recently had three interviews that went well for jobs I'm very well-qualified for. The interviews all lasted over an hour, with the employers telling me about their work in great detail, sometimes slipping and saying "you'll" do this or that. They gave me detailed tours of the work area and introduced me around.

I'm a likeable person, and I've never had trouble getting a job after I interviewed in the past, and now I have the added feature of a lot more experience. The interviews all end with: "We'll call your references and let you know!"

One employer never called me after that, the second said they were "looking for someone who will stay a while" (I didn't indicate any plans to leave), and the third said only that they went with another candidate.

I have some suspicions about the problem (bad reference or that I'm a breeding-aged married woman), but I hope the last interviewer will give me a few more details on what influenced his decision.

Anonymous said...

I'm also trying to get a job right now. I've recently had three interviews that went well for jobs I'm very well-qualified for. The interviews all lasted over an hour, with the employers telling me about their work in great detail, saying "you'll" do this or that. They gave me detailed tours of the work area and introduced me around also.
I've never had trouble getting a job after I interviewed in the past, and now I have the added feature of a lot more experience and Current licensers for my field of work. Like You the interviews all end with: "We'll call your references and let you know!" As time went by and doing the usuall follow up letters and calls, I ran into the problem that they are never available to answer any questions. Finally one employer called me after that, Stating they went with a student at this time. The second said they were "looking for someone who will stay a while" (Like You I didn't indicate any plans to leave), and the third said only that they went with another candidate.
I have come the conclusion like most people do what has my references said. So I came up with this, (I called all my references to get the feed back on what they have or not said. anonymously. After I get that information on any day I call them personally and ask if they have recieved any inqures. Dumb founded on my answer from them they have not had any calls for reference other than the one I made. So all i can say for know is keep trying and trying the job will come.


P.S. If any Hiring managers are reading this there are people out there that would like a chance to put there skills to work for you sometimes you just have to take a chance and let them show case there skills to you.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the previous comment.I am also in the same situation. The employers are becoming over cautious and too picky these days. Firts of all they interview too many candidates rather than interviewing top three. This all takes a lot of time and if you happen to be a first candidate that was interviewed than I am pretty sure what you have said in interviews they don't remember. I have seen situations where they have hired people that don't have anything special. I think they go by instinct rather than brains.