Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Monday, December 7, 2009

how to find a mentor

Having a mentor, especially at the early stages of your career, can be invaluable. You get someone who can advise you on career decisions, help you navigate tricky situations, and even just suggest ways to succeed at the more mundane aspects of office life.

There's a lot of advice out there that tells you to approach someone and ask them to set up a formal mentoring relationship with you. While I don't doubt that plenty of people have had success with this approach, I don't think you need to set up something so formal. Instead, some of the best mentoring relationships can develop naturally without ever being officially labeled.

Over at U.S. News & World Report today, I talk about how to do that. Please check it out and leave your own thoughts in the comments over there.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having a mentor has made all the difference in my career (and career search). I found that I just happened to click really well with someone in the office, and they kind of took me under their wing. I don't imagine it happens that quickly or easily for everybody, but even a slightly more formal relationship can be beneficial as well.

And always, always thank them for their help and advice.