Important Notice:
This site has moved to AskAManager.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option, archives, or categories at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

mistakes new grads make at work

I like working with recent grads. There's something really fulfilling about watching people as they learn their way around the working world for the first time and start getting the experience that will let them advance professionally. But I've also seen quite a few stumble in similar ways. Some of these are fatal, some just unwise, but all are ways that recent grads unintentionally sabotage themselves at work. Over at U.S. News & World Report today, I talk about seven common mistakes I see new grads making on the job. Check it out, and I'd love to hear your own input.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with those suggestions. I think it's appropriate that you put ignoring company culture first.

That should be the first thing a recent grad must look at. I blew when I had n opportunity to apply at a well known nonprofit company, but got a little selfish, yet, it was the best working enviornment I went to. I should of swallowed my pride, but alas I still connect with them via my own company.

Dan McCarthy said...

Alison –
I too work with a lot of recent college grads. I’d like to add:
Treating a business trip like Spring break. Being terminated for inappropriate after hours behavior can be a real stain on your resume and hard to explain to Mom and Dad.